The Ensoniq Fizmo, an entirely new, interactive, 61-key synthesizer. Fizmo is Ensoniq's latest
keyboard synth that is tailored toward the modern musician. Fizmo utilizes real-time
transwave synthesis, a powerful synthesis engine capable of 48-voice polyphony, state-of-the-art
20-bit output converters, 24-bit on-board effects that are powered by ESP-2 (the same chip found
in Ensoniq's Paris system), and a Flash OS that is user upgradeable via the internet or
You can view the default presets or download Free Sounds.
Real-time transwave synthesis
Ensoniq's sound design team created a new 4MB ROM specifically for Fizmo. Ensoniq's Transwaves
form the foundation of Fizmo's sound. Each transwave is a wavetable of sound data with a
number of loops, called frames, rather than just one. Each frame has a slightly different
harmonic structure and they're arranged sequentially so that the timbres progress naturally
from one end to the other. Fizmo is capable of a wide variety of timbres-morphing bell tones,
analog favorites, resonance sweeps, as well as unique, physically modeled timbres. Fizmo's
presets consist of up to four sounds that may be layered, split across the keyboard, or
addressed via MIDI on separate channels. Fizmo's synth engine is capable of 48-note polyphony
and its state-of-the-art 20-bit output converters ensure crystal clear sound with a wide
dynamic range and an extremely low-noise floor.
Real-time control interface
A real-time control interface is coupled with Fizmo's advanced wavetable synth engine to
creating an entirely new, interactive playing experience. Every programming function has
it's own dedicated knob or button. Five "Fizmo" tweak knobs provide real-time performance
modulation to Fizmo sounds. Each knob controls all current sounds on the keyboard simultaneously
and may address several controllers, allowing the player to make dramatic, instantaneous changes
to a preset. In addition, all controls may be recorded in real time to an external sequencer.
"Fizmo blends the best technical and musical qualities of a synthesizer. Anyone can get a
groove happening on it in minutes!".
On-board 24-bit effects are powered by Ensoniq's ESP-2, the same powerful chip found in
Ensoniq's Paris Hard Disk Recording System. High-quality, global reverb with three adjustable
busses is always available, and a separate insert effect may be used in a preset.
Fizmo includes 41 legendary Ensoniq insert effects algorithms and a microphone input is
provided so that the coveted sounds of vintage Vocoders are accessible.
Players of all levels will enjoy interacting with the "Intelligent" Arpeggiator. Ensoniq
engineers carefully crafted the software and presets so that complex, musically useful
patterns are instantly available. A "Tap Tempo" button is provided, making it easy to lock
in to a live performance. Performers may also set the tempo manually or sync to MIDI clock.
Also new to Fizmo is a Flash operating system that is user upgradeable over MIDI.
OS updates are delivered on disk or via the Internet in Standard MIDI File (SMF) format.
Users simply load the file into any software program or hardware MIDI sequencer capable
of SMF playback and "play the sequence" into Fizmo to perform the update.
- five Fizmo real-time control knobs
- four dedicated Sound buttons allow convenient selection, layering and key range assignment of presets
- 17 dedicated Sound and Effect editing knobs
- all four zones can play local sounds or external MIDI sources
- 48 dynamically assigned voices
- Dual layer voice architecture with the following parameters (per layer): Independent waveform selection, Volume, and Pan
- four-pole dynamic digital low-pass resonant filters with key tracking (33 settings, including fractional scaling)
- three envelope generators that can be modulated by velocity, key scaling, and response to release velocity
- 22 modulation sources, 8 modulation destinations
- one LFO (seven waveform choices can sync to Arpeggiator or external MIDI clock)
- variable rate noise generator can sync to Arpeggiator or external MIDI Octave, semi-tone, and fine tuning
- pitch tracking (33 settings, including fractional scaling)
- 45 ROM pitch tables (256 steps per semi-tone resolution)
- glide mode, glide time
- mono/poly playback
- programmable pitch bend range
- sustain on/off
Ensoniq Fizmo Specifications:
|Keyboard :||61-key with programmable velocity and channel pressure sensitivity|
|Maximum Polyphony :||48 voices|
|Memory Capacity :||128 ROM sounds (up to 128 RAM sounds possible), 64 presets|
|Data Encoding :||20-bit|
|Sound Memory :||4 MB|
|Display :||4 character 7 segment LED display|
|Controllers :||23 knobs featuring 5 Real-time Control Knobs, 34 buttons|
|Connectors :||Left/Mono and Right/Mono Main outputs (1/4" unbalanced), stereo headphone output, single/dual foot switch input, MIDI In/Out/Thru|
|Dimensions :||1029(W) x 343(D) x 127(H) mm (40" x 13" x 5")|